Castello di Drena

[senza fonte]
Il castello di Drena è un castello medievale che si trova nel comune omonimo in provincia di Trento.

Il luogo dove sorge il castello è stato abitato fin da tempi preistorici, come dimostra il ritrovamento dei resti di un castelliere dell’età del Bronzo.
I primi proprietari noti del maniero medievale furono i Sejano. Questi ultimi si scontrarono con i da Arco che volevano il possesso del castello per via della sua posizione strategica sulla strada che collega Trento al lago di Garda. Alla fine i da Arco ebbero la meglio e nel 1174 il maniero divenne di loro proprietà.
Nel 1703 il castello fu distrutto, come molti altri della zona, dal generale Vendome quando egli penetrò in Trentino nell’ambito della guerra di successione spagnola.
In anni recenti la provincia di Trento lo ha restaurato completamente, senza però una ricostruzione eccessiva delle rovine. Adesso è sede di un museo archeologico ed è possibile visitarlo.
Il castello, essenzialmente di stile romanico, è composto da un mastio quadrangolare altro 25 metri circondato da una cinta muraria. All’interno delle mura sono presenti una cappella dedicata a San Martino del IX secolo ed altri edifici residenziali tra cui il palazzo Comitale del XV secolo.

Publié dans Non classé

Georgia State Route 83

State Route 83 (SR 83) is a 86.5-mile-long (139.2 km) state highway that runs southwest to northeast, with a southeast–to–northwest section, within portions of Monroe, Jasper, Morgan, and Walton counties in the central part of the U.S. state of Georgia. It connects Forsyth, Monticello, and Madison. The portion from the southwestern city limits of Monticello to the Jasper–Morgan county line is included in the Monticello Crossroads Scenic Byway.

SR 83 begins at an intersection with US 341/SR 7 (Peach Blossom Trail) northeast of Culloden, in Monroe County. It heads northeast, briefly paralleling the Monroe–Lamar county line, to Forsyth. Once in Forsyth, the route forms a concurrency with US 41/SR 18, heading to downtown. Once in downtown Forsyth, the route intersects US 41/SR 18/SR 42. Here, SR 42/SR 83 begin a brief concurrency to the north. Less than 2,000 miles (3,200 km) later, the concurrency ends. SR 83 has an interchange with Interstate 75 (I-75) before leaving Forsyth. Just before leaving Monroe County, the route crosses over the Towaliga River and intersects US 23/SR 87 near Juliette. The route continues to the northeast, crossing over the Ocmulgee River at the Monroe–Jasper county line, and heads toward Monticello. Just prior to entering town, it has an intersection with SR 380 (Perimeter Road), a bypass south and east of the town. SR 83 then makes its way into downtown, where it intersects SR 11/SR 16/SR 212 at the southwestern corner of the town’s square. The four routes are concurrent for one block (the southeastern corner of the square), where SR 11’s southern lanes depart the concurrency. However, since the square is a one-way road, SR 11’s northern lanes continue the concurrency to the northeastern corner of the square. Here, SR 16’s and SR 212’s eastbound lanes depart the concurrency and SR 83 departs the square and the concurrency. SR 83 then leaves Monticello, passing the Hunter Pope Country Club, and continues to travel to the northeast, toward Madison. On the way, the route has an intersection with SR 142 in Shady Dale. Shortly after, it crosses into Morgan County. Then, it crosses over the Little River. In Madison, it has an interchange with I-20. Then, it begins a concurrency with US 278/SR 12. Just under 4,000 feet (1,200 m) later, US 129/US 441/SR 24 join the concurrency on the northeastern corner of Walton Park. The six routes head to the northeast, past Hill Park, before reaching downtown. Once in downtown Madison, SR 83 leaves the concurrency and travels to the northwest, toward Monroe. It passes through the town of Bostwick. It crosses into Walton County and enters Good Hope, where the route has an intersection with the western terminus of SR 186. SR 83 continues in a northwest direction until its northern terminus, an intersection with US 78/SR 10 in the northeastern part of Monroe.
SR 83 is not part of the National Highway System, a system of roadways important to the nation’s economy, defense, and mobility.

State Route 83 Connector (SR 83 Connector) was a 5.8-mile-long (9.3 km) connector that existed entirely within the central part of Jasper County. It is the original number of SR 380.
It started at an intersection with the SR 83 mainline (Forsyth Street) southwest of Monticello. Immediately, the route crossed over a Norfolk Southern Railway line and traveled to the southeast. The route curved to the south-southeast and back to the southeast. It passed north of Malone Lake before it curved to the east and intersected SR 11 south of the town. Then, SR 83 Connector traveled to the northeast to an intersection with SR 212 (Milledgeville–Monticello Road) east-southeast of Monticello. Just past this intersection, SR 83 Connector met its eastern terminus, an intersection with SR 16 east of town.
The entire route is in Jasper County.

Publié dans Non classé

Frau Holle (1977)

Frau Holle ist ein Schweizer Märchenkurzfilm von Rudolf Jugert aus dem Jahr 1977. Er basiert auf dem Grimm’schen Märchen Frau Holle.

Immer müsse man nach der Blondmarie rufen, weil sie ihrer Arbeit nicht nachkomme, meint eine Witwe zu ihrer leiblichen Tochter. Dass das fleißige Mädchen fast ununterbrochen arbeitet, und trotz der ungerechten Behandlung stets freundlich bleibt, nimmt sie einfach nicht zur Kenntnis. Noch schlimmer ist Blondmaries Stiefschwester, die die Mutter immer wieder gegen die ungeliebte Schwester aufhetzt.
Als Mutter und Tochter sich wieder einmal zusammen vergnügen, nachdem sie Blondmarie zuvor reichlich Arbeitsaufträge erteilt haben, und das Mädchen am Spinnrad sitzt, singt sie sehnsuchtsvoll: Wie ein Vöglein möcht ich fliegen … Als Blondmarie ihre vom Spinnen blutigen Finger und die blutige Spindel im Brunnen abspülen will, fällt sie ihr ins Wasser. Die Mutter, die hinzukommt, befiehlt ihr, die Spindel wieder aus dem Brunnen zu holen. Also springt Blondmarie und kommt erst auf einer Wiese unter einem blühenden Baum wieder zu sich. Als eine Stimme ertönt: „Ach zieh mich raus, ach zieh mich raus. Ich bin das Brot – hier im Ofen,“ kommt das junge Mädchen dieser Bitte, ohne zu zögern, nach. Auch dem Apfelbaum, der ruft: „Ach schüttel mich, ach schüttel mich, wir Äpfel sind alle schon reif“, hilft sie sofort. Als sie an ein kleines Haus kommt, steht dort eine alte Dame auf dem Balkon. Blondmarie erzählt ihr von der verlorenen Spindel. Frau Holle bittet sie herein und meint, wenn sie alle ihr gestellten Aufgaben gut erledige, habe sie es gut bei ihr und wenn sie dann noch, wenn die Zeit da sei, die Betten besonders kräftig ausschüttele, dann schneie es auf der Welt, denn sie sei die Frau Holle. Fleißig erledigt Blondmarie alles, was ihr aufgetragen wird und lässt es letztendlich auch tüchtig schneien. Freudig singt sie dabei: Es schneit, es schneit! Abwohl es Blondmarie dort so gut geht, leidet sie unter Heimweh, und so lässt Frau Holle sie gehen. Zuvor ergießt sich aber noch ein Goldregen über sie, als sie unter den Torbogen tritt, wie von der alten Dame erbeten.
Als Blondmarie wieder nach Hause kommt, kräht der Hahn: „Kikeriki, kikeriki, die Goldmarie ist wieder hie.“ Voller Neid greift die faule Schwester nach den Goldtalern, zuckt aber entsetzt zurück, weil sie sich fast daran verbrennt. Blondmarie gibt ihr zu verstehen, dass nur sie selbst die Taler berühren dürfe. Nachdem sie Mutter und Schwester ihre Geschichte erzählt hat, will die faule Schwester ihr Glück ebenfalls bei Frau Holle versuchen. So springt sie in den Brunnen. Als das Brot ruft, meint sie nur, da hätte sie ja viel zu tun, sich die Hände schmutzig zu machen und auch den Apfelbaum lässt sie wissen: „Du kommst mir gerade recht, es könnte mir ja einer auf den Kopf fallen.“ Wie erwartet, wird sie von Frau Holle hereingebeten, drückt sich aber vor der Arbeit, wo immer es geht. Als Frau Holle sie aus ihren Diensten entlässt, eilt sie erwartungsvoll auf das Tor zu, doch statt des erwarteten Goldregens, ergießt sich ein Pechstrahl über sie. „Kikeriki, kikeriki, die Pechmarie ist wieder hie“, kräht der Hahn bei ihrem Anblick. Die Mutter ist entsetzt über ihr Aussehen, nimmt sie dann aber doch mitleidsvoll in die Arme und ist nun ihrerseits auch mit zahlreichen Pechflecken verunstaltet. Ganz plötzlich erscheint Frau Holle und erklärt: „Das ist das Faulenzerpech und der Lügendreck, das geht nicht ab.“ Aber einen Weg gebe es doch. Sie stelle ihnen nun drei Fragen: „1. Wer war faul, hat nie seine Arbeit gemacht und den halben Tag verschlafen?“ Kleinlaut antwortet Pechmarie: Ich! Und schon sind die Nasen der Frauen wieder weiß. „Wer war immer fleißig, lieb und gut?“ „Goldmarie“, ist die Antwort. Frau Holle entgegnet: „Hände, Kleid und Bein, sind schon wieder rein“, und so ist es. „Und wer war schlecht zu Goldmarie?“, lautet die letzte Frage. Kleinlaut gestehen Mutter und Tochter auch das ein. „Guck, Gesicht und Haar, schon wieder klar.“ Glücklich umarmt sich das Gespann, weil nun das ganze Pech weg ist. Dann entschuldigen sie sich bei Goldmarie, die es ihnen leicht macht. Sie sei ihnen doch immer gut gewesen, alles sei vergessen. Frau Holle bemerkt dazu: „Es ist nie zu spät, in sich zu gehen, denkt immer daran und haltet euer Glück fest.“ Das wollen sie nun als Familie tun.
Der Film wurde vom Schweizer Fernsehen für die deutsche und rätoromanische Schweiz (SF DRS) (Zürich) produziert. Rudolf Jugert verfilmte 1971 eine Reihe von Kurzfilmen nach Märchen der Brüder Grimm, wozu auch diese Verfilmung von Frau Holle gehört.
Der bereits 1971 gedrehte Film erlebte erst am 11. April 1977 seine Premiere. Bisher ist diese Version von Frau Holle nur auf VHS erschienen.
Die Märchenseite neanderpeople.npage.de sprach von einer „poetischen Verfilmung, die durch bekannte Schauspieler zu neuem Leben erweckt“ werde. Auf der Märchenseite pytalhost.com. heißt es: „Aufgeschlossenheit und Hilfsbereitschaft auf der einen, Neid und Raffgier auf der anderen Seite – Gold und Pech sind die Belohnung. Ein Märchen voll tiefer Weisheit aus der Sammlung der Gebrüder Grimm.“
Film ohne Titel | Hallo, Fräulein! | 1 x 1 der Ehe | Es kommt ein Tag | Eine Frau mit Herz | Nachts auf den Straßen | Illusion in Moll | Ich heiße Niki | Ein Herz spielt falsch | Jonny rettet Nebrador | Eine Liebesgeschichte | Ihre große Prüfung | Gefangene der Liebe | Rosen im Herbst | Studentin Helene Willfüer | Kronprinz Rudolfs letzte Liebe | Nina | Der Meineidbauer | Eva küßt nur Direktoren | Ein Stück vom Himmel | Frauensee | Die feuerrote Baronesse | Die Wahrheit über Rosemarie | Endstation Rote Laterne | Die junge Sünderin | Der Satan lockt mit Liebe | Die Stunde, die du glücklich bist | Frauenarzt Dr. Sibelius | Axel Munthe – Der Arzt von San Michele | Bezaubernde Mama | Kennwort: Reiher | Der Tag danach | Der Reformator | Schneewittchen | Hänsel und Gretel | Annemarie Lesser | Der Bastian | Unsere Penny | König Drosselbart | Allerleirauh | Die Gänsemagd | Die kluge Bauerntochter | Frau Holle | Balthasar im Stau
Hänsel und Gretel (1971) | Schneewittchen (1971) | König Drosselbart (1976) | Allerleirauh (1977) | Frau Holle (1977) | Die Gänsemagd (1977) | Die kluge Bauerntochter (1977)

Publié dans Non classé

Feldhandball-Weltmeisterschaft der Männer

Die Feldhandball-Weltmeisterschaft der Männer war ein Feldhandballturnier für Nationalmannschaften der Männer, das in den Jahren 1938 bis 1966 siebenmal von der Internationalen Handballföderation (IHF) organisiert wurde. Erstmals wurden 1938 Weltmeisterschaften für Männer im Feldhandball ausgetragen. Nach dem Ende des Zweiten Weltkriegs fand das Turnier in unregelmäßigen Abständen, meist alle drei oder vier Jahre statt. Die letzte Feldhandball-Weltmeisterschaft wurde 1966 in Österreich ausgetragen.

Die Ewige Tabelle der Feldhandball-Weltmeisterschaften der Männer ist eine statistische Auflistung aller Spiele der Feldhandball-Weltmeisterschaft der Männer bei ihren sieben Austragungen zwischen 1938 und 1966 auf. Der Berechnung liegt die Zwei-Punkte-Regel zu Grunde (zwei Punkte für einen Sieg, einen Punkt für ein Unentschieden).
Die Tabelle ist nach der Anzahl der gewonnenen Punkte vorsortiert. Erstplatzierter ist die deutsche Nationalmannschaft, gefolgt von der Schweiz und Schweden. Die Schweiz nahm als einzige Mannschaft an allen Weltmeisterschaften (1938, 1948, 1952, 1955, 1959, 1963 und 1966) teil und hat mehr Spiele absolviert als jede andere Mannschaft. Nach Spielausgängen führen Deutschland (meiste Siege und Unentschieden sowie meiste erzielte Tore), die Deutsche Demokratische Republik, Frankreich, Österreich (alle meiste Unentschieden) und die Niederlande (meiste Niederlagen sowie höchste Anzahl an Gegentreffern). Die Mannschaft der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik verlor keines ihrer neun WM-Spiele, während Luxemburg bei vier Teilnahmen und insgesamt sechs Spielen keinen Punkterfolg feiern konnte.

Deutschland 1938 | Frankreich 1948 | Schweiz 1952 | BR Deutschland 1955 | Österreich 1959 | Schweiz 1963 | Österreich 1966
Weltmeisterschaft der Männer/Frauen • U-21-Handball-Weltmeisterschaft der Männer/U-20-Handball-Weltmeisterschaft der Frauen • U-19-Handball-Weltmeisterschaft der Männer/U-18-Handball-Weltmeisterschaft der Frauen • Olympische Spiele • IHF Super Globe • Beachhandball-Weltmeisterschaft • Handball-Studentenweltmeisterschaft
Afrikameisterschaft der Männer/Frauen
Panamerika-Meisterschaft der Männer/Frauen
Asienmeisterschaft der Männer/Frauen
Europameisterschaft der Männer/Frauen • U-20-Handball-Europameisterschaft der Männer/U-19-Handball-Europameisterschaft der Frauen • U-18-Handball-Europameisterschaft der Männer/U-17-Handball-Europameisterschaft der Frauen • Beachhandball-Europameisterschaft der Männer/ Frauen
Ozeanienmeisterschaft der Männer/Frauen
Feldhandball-Weltmeisterschaft der Männer/Frauen • Handball-Militärweltmeisterschaft

Publié dans Non classé

DISCO – Europäisches Wörterbuch der Fertigkeiten und Kompetenzen

. Bitte hilf mit, die fehlenden Informationen zu recherchieren und einzufügen.
Wikipedia:WikiProjekt Ereignisse/Vergangenheit/2012
DISCO – European Dictionary of Skills and Competences bzw. das Europäische Wörterbuch für Fertigkeiten und Kompetenzen ist ein standardisiertes Vokabular zur Beschreibung von Fertigkeiten und Fähigkeiten für unterschiedliche Anwendungen und Zwecke, wie z.B. im Arbeitsmarkt, bei der Aus- und Weiterbildung oder im Zusammenhang mit der Anerkennung von beruflichen Qualifikationen.
DISCO ist ein Thesaurus, der auf internationalen Standards und Klassifikationen beruht. Er ist geeignet für die Formulierung von Lebensläufen, Stellenanzeigen, Beschreibung von Lehrplänen, Darstellung von Kursen oder Formulieren von Zeugnissen. DISCO unterstützt eine internationale Vergleichbarkeit von Kompetenzen in den europäischen Ländern CZ, DE, EN, ES, FR, HU, IT, LT, SE, SK.
DISCO wird von der Europäischen Kommission (Leonardo da Vinci) und dem Österreichischen Bundesministerium für Bildung, Kunst und Kultur gefördert und gemeinsam mit Partnern aus Österreich, Belgien, Deutschland, Frankreich, Italien, Litauen, Schweden, der Slowakei, Spanien, der Tschechischen Republik und Ungarn realisiert. DISCO gliedert sich ein Projekt von September 2004 bis Februar 2008 und ein zweites von November 2010 bis voraussichtlich Oktober 2012.
Der Thesaurus listet rund 10.000 Begriffe auf, davon ca. 7.000 Vorzugsbegriffe und rund 3.000 Synonyme pro Sprachversion. Verwandte Begriffe werden gegebenenfalls eingesetzt.
DISCO wurde in Übereinstimmung mit bereits bestehenden Klassifikationen aus den Ländern der Projektpartner sowie mit internationalen Standards entwickelt:
Im Rahmen von DISCO II werden vor allem Zeugniserläuterungen und andere nationale Beschreibungen von Berufsprofilen betrachtet. Ziel ist, vergleichbare Kompetenzbeschreibungen für die Gebrauchspraxis in den Bereiche Gesundheit, IT, Umwelt und Soziales zur Verfügung zu stellen. Auf europäischer Ebene wird im Rahmen der derzeitigen ESCO (European Skills/Competences, qualifications and Occupations) DISCO als eine Quelle verwendet. Das ESCO-Projekt hat das Ziel, den EU-Mitgliedsstaaten eine gemeinsame „Sprache“, bzw. eine kompatible Taxonomie für unterschiedliche Zwecke und Probleme an die Hand zu geben.
DISCO wird ebenfalls in Projekten wie YOMTOOL (Youth on the Move Toolkit – zur Unterstützung vor allem der beruflichen Mobilität von Jugendlichen) oder Skillsbank, ein an ECVET orientierter Toolkit, der Berufsberatung und individuelle Weiterbildung unterstützen soll, genutzt.
Disco kann selbstverständlich auch national verwendet werden z.B. für Online-Glossare.

Publié dans Non classé

Indie na Zimowych Igrzyskach Olimpijskich 2006

Indie na Zimowych Igrzyskach Olimpijskich 2006 reprezentowało 4 sportowców.

Mężczyźni
Mężczyźni
Mężczyźni
Kobiety
Paryż 1900 • Antwerpia 1920 • Paryż 1924 • Amsterdam 1928 • Los Angeles 1932 • Berlin 1936 • Londyn 1948 • Helsinki 1952 • Melbourne 1956 • Rzym 1960 • Tokio 1964 • Meksyk 1968 • Monachium 1972 • Montreal 1976 • Moskwa 1980 • Los Angeles 1984 • Seul 1988 • Barcelona 1992 • Atlanta 1996 • Sydney 2000 • Ateny 2004 • Pekin 2008 • Londyn 2012
Innsbruck 1964 • Grenoble 1968 • Calgary 1988 • Albertville 1992 • Nagano 1998 • Salt Lake City 2002 • Turyn 2006 • Vancouver 2010 • Soczi 2014
Algieria • Etiopia • Kenia • Madagaskar • Republika Południowej Afryki • Senegal
Argentyna • Bermudy • Brazylia • Chile • Kanada • Kostaryka • Stany Zjednoczone • Wenezuela • Wyspy Dziewicze Stanów Zjednoczonych
Armenia • Azerbejdżan • Chińska Republika Ludowa • Chińskie Tajpej • Gruzja • Hongkong • Indie • Iran • Izrael • Japonia • Kazachstan • Kirgistan • Korea Południowa • Korea Północna • Liban • Mongolia • Nepal • Tadżykistan • Tajlandia • Turcja • Uzbekistan
Albania • Andora • Austria • Belgia • Białoruś • Bośnia i Hercegowina • Bułgaria • Chorwacja • Cypr • Czechy • Dania • Estonia • Finlandia • Francja • Grecja • Hiszpania • Holandia • Irlandia • Islandia • Liechtenstein • Litwa • Luksemburg • Łotwa • Macedonia • Mołdawia • Monako • Niemcy • Norwegia • Polska • Portugalia • Rosja • Rumunia • San Marino • Serbia i Czarnogóra • Słowacja • Słowenia • Szwajcaria • Szwecja • Ukraina • Węgry • Wielka Brytania • Włochy
Australia • Nowa Zelandia

Publié dans Non classé

Château Brotte

p3
Château Brotte ist eine Burganlage in der kleinen Ortschaft Brotte-lès-Luxeuil nahe der Stadt Luxeuil-les-Bains in der Franche-Comté.
Der Name Brotte erscheint zum ersten Mal in einer Bulle des Papstes Alexander III. im Jahre 1178. In dieser Bulle werden verschiedene Domänen der Abtei von Lure zuerkannt.
Die Burganlage ist dann im Jahre 1284 zum ersten Mal dokumentiert. Bei dem Château handelt es sich um eine Anlage, die ursprünglich von Mauern umfasst und mit vier Ecktürmen flankiert war. Von den früher im Burghof errichteten Häusern sind nur noch teilweise die Fundamente zu erkennen. Zwei Türme wurden in den vergangenen Jahrhunderten komplett abgetragen, ebenso die Verbindungsmauern. Heute ist nur noch die Vorderfront mit einem großen Turm und einer Turmruine zu sehen. Mit den Steinen des Château wurden die meisten Wohnhäuser in der Ortschaft errichtet. 1835 restaurierte die Gräfin de Belay den großen Turm, ab 1950 zerfiel die Burg und wurde als Scheune und Abstelllager genutzt. Seit 1993 ist das Château in Privatbesitz und wird nach denkmalpflegerischen Gesichtspunkten Stück für Stück restauriert.

Publié dans Non classé

Quatsino Provincial Park

Quatsino Provincial Park is a provincial park in British Columbia, Canada, located on Quatsino Sound on northern Vancouver Island.

The park was established July 12, 1995.
This undeveloped park protects some of the largest old-growth trees, some small lakes, Koprino Harbour, which is a sheltered inlet, and the Koprino River estuary, which is noted for its critical fish-rearing and waterfowl habitat. The park also protects nesting and feeding habitat that is used by a high concentration of bald eagles. Black bears are very common in Quatsino Provincial Park, as are coastal black-tailed deer and cougars.
The following recreational activities are available: backcountry camping and hiking, kayaking and canoeing, fishing and hunting. Quatsino Provincial Park is primarily a marine-access recreational park.
Located 50 kilometres west of Port Hardy, British Columbia. Accessible by rough logging roads or by kayaks. Quatsino is on a popular kayaking route.
654 hectares in size.
Coordinates: 50°29′30″N 127°49′00″W / 50.49167°N 127.81667°W / 50.49167; -127.81667

Publié dans Non classé

Brügge

Brügge (niederländisch Brugge, französisch Bruges) ist die Hauptstadt und mit 117.377 Einwohnern (Stand 1. Januar 2014) die größte Stadt der Provinz Westflandern in Belgien. Außerdem ist Brügge Bischofssitz der katholischen Kirche für das Bistum Brügge.
Im Spätmittelalter war die niederländische Region um Brügge eines der Zentren der Textilindustrie und des Fernhandels in Europa und damit eine der Geburtsstätten des Frühkapitalismus. In der Stadt residierten zeitweise die Herzöge von Burgund, unter deren Herrschaft Brügge zu einer der wirtschaftlich und kulturell reichsten Städte im damaligen Europa wurde.
Die Altstadt ist von Wallanlagen, auf denen Windmühlen stehen, und Kanälen umgeben. Da Brügge nie durch Kriege oder großflächige Brände zerstört wurde, sind mittelalterliches Stadtbild und historische Gebäude sehr gut erhalten. Die Stadt ist sowohl zu Fuß als auch per Bootstour erkundbar. Die Kanäle, die die Stadt durchziehen, nennen die Einheimischen Reien nach dem im Mittelalter vollständig kanalisierten Flüsschen Reie, über das Brügge direkt mit der Nordsee verbunden war.
Der mittelalterliche Stadtkern wurde im Jahr 2000 von der UNESCO zum Weltkulturerbe erklärt. Im Jahr 2002 war Brügge Europäische Kulturhauptstadt.
Brügge beherbergt das renommierte Europakolleg (College of Europe) und verfügt über einen wichtigen Seehafen im Teilort Seebrügge.

Ein Ursprung aus einem westgermanischen Wort für „Brücke“ ist wahrscheinlich. Mehrere ähnliche Wörter werden in den alten Dokumenten in verschiedenen germanischen Sprachen erwähnt, z. B. altenglisch bryċġ > bridge, altsächsisch bruggia, althochdeutsch brucca, altnordisch bryggja, die wohl alle auf das germanische *bruʒjō zurückgehen.
Bereits im 2. und 3. Jahrhundert befand sich auf dem Gebiet von Brügge eine gallo-römische Siedlung. Ihre Bewohner waren nicht nur Landwirte, sondern auch Händler, die Kontakte mit England und mit dem Rest von Gallien unterhielten. In der Mitte des 9. Jahrhunderts baute Balduin I. eine Festung am noch heute Burg genannten Platz zum Schutz der Küste vor Angriffen der Wikinger. Brügge erhielt 1128 das Stadtrecht.
Über einen Seearm der Nordsee, den 1134 in Folge einer Sturmflut entstandenen Zwin, und das kanalisierte Flüsschen Reie war die Stadt im Mittelalter direkt mit dem Meer verbunden und konnte so am Fernhandel partizipieren. Um 1200 fand in Brügge die erste Handelsmesse statt. Gehandelt wurden Wolle aus England für die Tuchproduktion, Gewürze und Brokat aus Italien, Pelze und Hölzer aus Russland, Lammfelle aus Spanien, Wein aus Frankreich und Gobelins aus Flandern – die Region um Brügge wurde zu einem Zentrum der Textilherstellung und Textilveredlung. Im verzweigten Handelsnetz von Flandern war Antwerpen der zweitwichtigste Fernhandelsplatz nach Brügge, während Gent und Ypern regionale Marktorte waren. Für den sechs Wochen dauernden Pfingstmarkt verließen alle Ausländer Brügge um in Antwerpen Handel zu treiben.
Auch Kaufleute aus den rheinischen Städten und aus den Hansestädten Lübeck und Hamburg kamen nach Brügge. Die Hanse errichtete an der Nordsee neben dem Stahlhof in London und der Bryggen in Bergen auch ein Hansekontor in Brügge und war so mit den Märkten außerhalb ihres eigentlichen Wirtschaftsraumes verbunden. 1253 gewährte die Gräfin von Flandern Margarete II. den Hansekaufleuten diverse Handelsprivilegien. Mehr als 500 überlieferte Briefe und zehn Handelsbücher des damals in Brügge lebenden Lübecker Hansekaufmanns Hildebrand Veckinchusen geben Aufschluss über Geschäftspraxis und Lebenswelt der Kaufleute im Spätmittelalter. Vom Versammlungshaus des Brügger Hansekontors am Osterlingenplein, dem Haus der Osterlinge, ist nur noch der als Hotel genutzte rechte Teil vorhanden. Als Osterlinge – „die aus dem Osten kamen“ – wurden die deutschen Kaufleute bezeichnet.
In der Sporenschlacht (11. Juli 1302) nahe Kortrijk verteidigte eine zum Großteil aus Bürgermilizen bestehenden Armee erfolgreich die Unabhängigkeit der Flamen gegen den Machtanspruch Frankreichs, nachdem am 18. Mai 1302 die Brügger Frühmette vorausgegangen war. Die Schlacht war ebenso wie die Revancheschlacht bei Mons-en-Pévèle (18. August 1304) ein Vorkonflikt des Hundertjährigen Krieges (1337–1457) zwischen England und Frankreich, dessen wirtschaftlicher Hintergrund aus flämischer Sicht der Kampf um Flandern als Zentrum der europäischen Tuchindustrie war.
In der ersten Phase des Hundertjährigen Krieges setzte der englische König Eduard III. die flandrischen Städte – darunter Brügge als wichtigsten Fernhandelsplatz – durch einen Exportstopp englischer Schafwolle unter Druck und erzwang so deren Kooperationsbereitschaft. Den Boykott hatte Ludwig I. von Flandern durch die Unterstützung des Anspruchs Philipps VI. auf den französischen Thron heraufbeschworen. Mit der Seeschlacht von Sluis (24. Juni 1340) kam es zur ersten großen direkten Konfrontation zwischen den Kriegsparteien. Durch den Sieg der englischen Flotte wurde die französische Dominanz im Ärmelkanal endgültig gebrochen und die Nordostgrenze Frankreichs stark gefährdet. Wegen seiner strategisch wichtigen Lage wurde Brügges Vorhafenstadt Sluis 1382 zur Festungsstadt ausgebaut und dort ab 1385 im Auftrag des Burgunderherzogs Philipp II. eine Burg errichtet.
Für englische Kaufleute sind in Brügge erstmals 1359 Handelsprivilegien nachweisbar. Der 1407 in England mit Sitz in London gegründeten Handelskompanie Company of Merchant Adventurers – einer der bedeutendsten englischen Tuchhandelskompanien des ausgehenden Mittelalters – wurde von der englischen Krone das Monopol auf den Export unbehandelter Tuche in die Niederlande zugestanden. In Brügge errichtete die Company of Merchant Adventurers ihre erste Niederlassung. 1446 wurden ihr bessere Bedingungen von Herzog Philipp III. angeboten und sie verlegte ihre niederländische Hauptniederlassung nach Antwerpen.
Am früheren Oude Beursplein (dt. Alter Börsenplatz) befanden sich die Handelsniederlassungen der italienischen Seestädte Genua, Florenz und Venedig sowie das 1246 erbaute Haus der Kaufmannsfamilie Van der Beurze, der ersten Börse der Welt. In- und ausländische Kaufleute trafen dort regelmäßig zusammen und tätigten Handels- und Wechselgeschäfte. Vom Familiennamen der Kaufleute wurde das niederländische Wort beurs als Bezeichnung für derartige Handelsplätze abgeleitet und entsprechend in andere europäischen Sprachen übernommen.
1369 wurde Brügge Teil des Herzogtums Burgund und Residenzstadt der Burgundischen Herzöge. Kaufleute aus ganz Europa kamen in die Stadt um dort Handel zu treiben. Um den Jan van Eyckplatz entstand ein Stadtviertel mit Handelsniederlassungen. Viele der Handelsschiffe legten hier an, während die spanischen Kaufleute ihren Hafen am Spaanse Loskaai hatten.
Unter der Herrschaft der Herzöge von Burgund entwickelte sich Brügge wirtschaftlich und kulturell zu einer der reichsten Städte Europas. Das dem Meister der André-Madonna zugeschriebene Gemälde Jungfrau und Kind unter Engeln und das im Motiv gleiche Gemälde Jungfrau und Kind mit vier Engeln von Gerard David zeigen als Hintergrund eine Stadtansicht aus dieser Zeit.
Im dicht besiedelten und urbanisierten Flandern mit seiner durch Textilherstellung und Handel bestimmten Wirtschaft wurde die Politik von den Städten dominiert, in anderen Territorien Burgunds vom Adel. Am Hof und im Süden Burgunds sprach man französisch, im Norden aber nach wie vor niederländisch. Die Burgunder Herzöge und ihr Hof reisten in ihrem Herrschaftsgebiet umher und waren an keinen festen Ort gebunden. Während Ihrer Aufenthalte in Brügge residierten sie und ihr Hofstaat im Prinzenhof. Zählte der Hof 1426 noch 230 Personen, so stieg deren Anzahl bis 1474 auf etwa 600 Personen an, die zahlreichen Leibbogener nicht eingerechnet. Der Hofstaat, der für seine Dienste Pensionen und Gagen erhielt, repräsentierte den jeweiligen Herzog; Feste, Ritterturniere, Einzüge in Städte und Totenkult demonstrierten dessen Rang, Macht, Reichtum und Verdienste.
„Die ganze Hofhaltung war luxuriös, der Hausschatz und die Bibliothek voller Kostbarkeiten, und das Hofzeremoniell ganz auf eine gottähnliche Überhöhung des Herrschers ausgerichtet. Im Selbstverständnis der adlig-ritterlichen Welt Burgunds und seines Hofes waren als standesgemäße Vergnügungen über Tags Jagdausflüge und Turniere ebenso fest verankert wie die wohlinzenierten und von großartigen Musikern begleiteten abendlichen Tanz- und Maskenfeste.“
Nach dem Tod Karls des Kühnen in der Schlacht von Nancy (1477) zerfiel das Herzogtum Burgund in kurzer Zeit im Kampf um das Burgundische Erbe zwischen Maximilian von Habsburg und Frankreich.
Noch 1477 heiratete die Erbtochter Karls des Kühnen Maria von Burgund den Sohn des römisch-deutschen Kaisers Friedrich III. Maximilian, mit dem sie bereits seit 1475 verlobt war. Die ihr vom französischen König Ludwig XI. angebotene Ehe mit dessen Sohn, dem erst siebenjährigen Dauphin Karl, lehnte Maria ab.
Maximilian wurde durch diese Heirat iure uxoris Herzog von Burgund und damit auch Herrscher über Flandern, das so Teil des habsburgischen Hausbesitzes wurde. Im Burgundischen Erbfolgekrieg (1477–1493) war es das erklärte Ziel Maximilians das gesamte nach dem Tod Karls des Kühnen zu großen Teilen von Frankreich besetzte Herzogtum Burgund zurückzuerobern und seine Herrschaft in den burgundischen Niederlanden zu sichern.
Nach einem Reitunfall bei einer Falkenjagd in der Nähe von Brügge starb Maria am 27. März 1482 an den Folgen ihrer Verletzungen. Fünfzehntausend Menschen sollen ihr während der aufwendig inszenierten Beisetzung in der Liebfrauenkirche von Brügge die letzte Ehre erwiesen haben. Bevor sie starb, erklärte Maria ihren erst vierjährigen Sohn Philipp, der in Brügge geboren worden war, zum Herzog und damit auch zum Erben des Herzogtums Burgund. Über Philipp und dessen zweijährige Schwester Margarete übten die Stände – zu denen in politischer Hinsicht nicht der Landesherr aber die wirtschaftlich und damit auch politisch mächtigen Städte Flanderns gehörten – de facto die Vormundschaft aus. Zwar wurden die Kinder Marias und Maximilians von den Ständen als Erben anerkannt, nicht aber die testamentarisch von Maria verfügte Vormundschaft ihres Vaters Maximilian und dessen Regentschaft über die burgundischen Niederlande.
Nach dem Frieden von Arras (1482) wollte Maximilian deshalb vor allen die Vormundschaft über seinen Sohn Philipp sicherstellen, um so seine vormundschaftliche Regierung über dessen burgundisches Erbe – zunächst in den burgundischen Niederlanden – formalrechtlich zu legitimieren. Die nördlichen Provinzen befürworteten die Regentschaft Maximilians, während der Süden der Niederlande nur den von den aufständischen Provinzen Geldern, Flandern und Brabant gebildeten Regentschaftsrat akzeptierte und die Herausgabe seines in Gent festgehaltenen Sohnes verweigerte. Mit Unterstützung Frankreichs widersetzten sich insbesondere die reichen flandrischen Städte Ypern, Gent und Brügge der Herrschaft des Habsburgers. Die mächtige Stadt Gent fiel von ihm ab und auch die Zünfte von Brügge rebellierten.
Die Aufstände in den niederländischen Provinzen und Städten konnte Maximilian schließlich niedergeschlagen und die Erbfolgestreitigkeiten mit der französischen Krone nach Abschluss des Vertrages von Senlis (1493) endgültig beenden.
→ Hauptartikel: Maximilians Gefangenschaft in Brügge (1488)
Die Stadt Brügge schreckte nicht davor zurück Maximilian – ab 1486 auch römisch-deutscher König – von Januar bis Mai 1488 im Haus Craenburg am Grote Markt zu inhaftieren, als dieser neue Steuern einführen wollte. Sein Vater musste erst eine Armee zusammenstellen, um die Freilassung seines Sohnes zu erzwingen. Der Berater Maximilians Pierre Lanchals, auch Lankhals genannt, und des Verrats verdächtige Mitglieder der Stadtverwaltung wurden vor Maximilians Augen auf dem Grote Markt gefoltert und schließlich enthauptet. Eine Legende behauptet, Maximilian hätte Brügge nach seiner Freilassung – um diesen Affront zu sühnen und für immer an diese Schmach zu erinnern – dazu verurteilt, auf ewig Schwäne – „Langhälse“ – auf dem Minnewater zu halten; die Schwäne sind dort auch heute noch zahlreich vertreten.
Zum Ende des 15. Jahrhunderts versandete der Zwin. Brügge war damit von der Nordsee abgeschnitten. Der burgundische Hof zog sich aus der Stadt zurück und Maximilian beschränkte die Rechte der Stadt. Diese musste ihre führende Position in Flandern an Antwerpen abgeben, das über die sandfreie Schelde mit der Nordsee verbunden ist.
Brügge verarmte und kam von 1524 bis 1713 unter spanische Herrschaft. Die Hugenottenkriege trugen weiter zum Verfall bei. In der Stadt herrschte über Jahrhunderte Stillstand; nacheinander herrschten hier das Kaiserhaus Habsburg (1713 bis 1795), Frankreich (1795 bis 1815) und die Niederlande (bis 1830) über Brügge.
Nach 1830 wurde Flandern und damit Brügge ein Teil des neuen Königreichs Belgien. An der im 19. Jahrhundert aufkommenden Industrialisierung hatte die Stadt praktisch keinen Anteil. Erst gegen Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts erhielt Brügge einige Aufmerksamkeit als Kulturstadt, als der Schriftsteller Georges Rodenbach die Stadt in seinem Roman Bruges la Morte beschrieb. Als 1907 ein Anschluss an den Seehafen Zeebrügge geschaffen wurde, erhielt Brügge neue wirtschaftliche Perspektiven. Seit 1949 beherbergt Brügge das Europakolleg (College of Europe) als renommierte Europa-Hochschule, 1960 wurde die Stadt mit dem Europapreis für ihre hervorragenden Bemühungen um den europäischen Integrationsgedanken ausgezeichnet. Heute profitiert Brügge von dem jahrhundertelangen Stillstand, da der mittelalterliche Stadtkern unverbaut erhalten geblieben ist und die Grundlage für den Tourismus bildet.
In der Heilig-Blut-Basilika im Zentrum von Brügge wird die von den Katholiken als einer der bedeutendsten Reliquien Europas verehrte »Ampulle mit dem Blut Christi« aufbewahrt. Die Reliquie wird seit 1291 immer zu Christi Himmelfahrt während der Heilig-Blut-Prozession durch die Stadt getragen. Der aus Brügge stammende Graf und Kreuzritter Dietrich von Elsass soll die Reliquie für tapfere Taten während des Zweiten Kreuzzuges in Jerusalem erhalten haben. 2009 wurde die Heilig-Blut-Prozession in die Repräsentative Liste des immateriellen Kulturerbes der Menschheit aufgenommen.
Seit 1964 findet jedes Jahr Anfang August das Festival Musica Antiqua Brugge (heute MAFestival als Abkürzung von Musica Antiqua Festival, auch Festival van Vlaanderen Brugge genannt), eines der wichtigsten Alte-Musik-Festivals, statt.
Grote Markt
Belfried
Provinciaal Hof
Heilig-Blut-Basilika rechter Teil
Rathaus
Rozenhoedkaai
De Halve Maan
Minnewater
Kathedrale St. Salvator
Liebfrauenkirche
Eingang zum Beginenhof
Kruispoort
Smedenpoort
Ezelpoort
Gentpoort
Lage der Brügger Reien
Altes Sankt-Jans-Hospital
Windmühle am Kruispoort
Gruuthusemuseum
Die städtischen Museen in Brügge sind unterteilt in die Kategorien Schöne Künste (vom 15. bis zum 21. Jahrhundert), Bruggemuseum (Sammelname für elf historische Museen) und Hospitaalmuseum (Hospitalmuseen).
Die zwei Museen der Schönen Künste sind das Groeningemuseum, mit einer Kollektion der flämischen Primitiven sowie Gemälde und Skulpturen der Renaissance, des Barock, des Klassizismus und des Expressionismus und das Arentshaus.
Bruggemuseum enthält das Archäologie-Museum, den Gentpoort, den Belfried, das Rathaus, das Brügger Freiamt, das Gruuthusemuseum, die Liebfrauenkirche, das Heimatmuseum, die Koelewei-Mühle, die Sint-Janshuis-Mühle und das Guido-Gezelle-Museum.
Die zwei Hospitalmuseen sind das Alte Sankt-Jans-Hospital (Oud Sint-Janshospitaal) mit dem Memlingmuseum (Memling in Sint-Jan) und Unsere Liebe Frau zur Potterie. Im Memlingmuseum werden unter anderem Werke des Brügger Malers Hans Memling gezeigt, darunter der Ursulaschrein (vor 1489), der das Martyrium der Heiligen Ursula darstellt und der Flügelaltar. Die mystische Hochzeit der Heiligen Katharina (1479).
Private Museen in Brügge sind das Historium, das Beginenhaus, das Brauereimuseum, das Biermuseum, das Diamantmuseum, das Schokoladenmuseum Choco-Story, das Pommes-Frites-Museum (im Spätmittelalter Handelsniederlassung der italienischen Seestadt Genua), das Lampenmuseum Lumina Domestica, das Englische Kloster, die Heilig-Blut-Basilika, der Hof Bladelin, die Jerusalemkirche, Museum-Gallery Xpo: Salvador Dalí, das Spitzenzentrum, die St.-Georgs-Schützengilde, die St.-Sebastian-Schützengilde, die St.-Salvator-Kathedrale, die St.-Trudo-Abtei, die Sternwarte Beisbroek und das Kloster Ter Doest in Lissewege.
Brügge hat verschiedene Theater und Konzertsäle. Die wichtigsten sind das für „Brügge 2002 – Europäische Kulturhauptstadt“ neugebaute Concertgebouw („Konzertgebäude“) – Residenz des Orchesters Anima Eterna Brugge –, die Stadsschouwburg, Biekorf, De Dijk, De Werf, der Magdalenazaal, Het Entrepot und der Joseph Ryelandtzaal.
Die drei Kinos in Brügge sind Cinema Lumière für nicht-kommerzielle Filme, Cinema Liberty, ein kleines kommerzielles Kino, und das Cineplex Kinepolis in Sint-Michiels.
Hafen
Der Hafen von Brügge-Zeebrugge gilt als einer der modernsten und wichtigsten in Europa. Seine Hauptvorteile sind seine geographische Lage an der Nordsee mit der Straße von Dover, die Nähe zu England und sein Zugang mit großen Wassertiefen.
In Brügge befindet sich unter anderem das renommierte Europakolleg, ein unabhängiges postgraduales Hochschulinstitut für europäische Studien.
Erste Division:
Zweite Division:
Beide spielen im Jan-Breydel-Stadion (30.000 Sitzplätze) in Sint-Andries.
Im Jahr 2000 war Brügge eine der acht Gastgeberstädte der Fußball-Europameisterschaft.
In Brügge befindet sich der Startpunkt für die Flandern-Rundfahrt.
Filme, die (überwiegend) in Brügge spielen (Auswahl):
Alveringem | Anzegem | Ardooie | Avelgem | Beernem | Blankenberge | Bredene | Brügge | Damme | De Haan | De Panne | Deerlijk | Dentergem | Diksmuide | Gistel | Harelbeke | Heuvelland | Hooglede | Houthulst | Ichtegem | Ingelmunster | Izegem | Jabbeke | Knokke-Heist | Koekelare | Koksijde | Kortemark | Kortrijk | Kuurne | Langemark-Poelkapelle | Ledegem | Lendelede | Lichtervelde | Lo-Reninge | Menen | Mesen | Meulebeke | Middelkerke | Moorslede | Nieuwpoort | Oostkamp | Oostrozebeke | Ostende | Oudenburg | Pittem | Poperinge | Roeselare | Ruiselede | Spiere-Helkijn | Staden | Tielt | Torhout | Veurne | Vleteren | Waregem | Wervik | Wevelgem | Wielsbeke | Wingene | Ypern | Zedelgem | Zonnebeke | Zuienkerke | Zwevegem
Belfriede in Flandern und Frankreich | Altstadt von Brügge | Schiffshebewerke des belgischen Canal du Centre | Flämische Beginenhöfe | Grand-Place/Grote Markt in Brüssel | Jungsteinzeitliche Feuersteinminen bei Spiennes | Liebfrauenkathedrale (Tournai) | Jugendstilbauten von Victor Horta in Brüssel | Plantin-Moretus-Museum | Palais Stoclet | Große Bergbaustätten in Wallonien: Grand Hornu, Bois-du-Luc, Bois du Cazier und die Blegny-Mine
Kulturstadt Europas:  1985: Athen | 1986: Florenz | 1987: Amsterdam | 1988: West-Berlin | 1989: Paris | 1990: Glasgow | 1991: Dublin | 1992: Madrid | 1993: Antwerpen | 1994: Lissabon | 1995: Luxemburg | 1996: Kopenhagen | 1997: Thessaloniki | 1998: Stockholm
Kulturhauptstadt Europas:  1999: Weimar | 2000: Avignon, Bergen, Bologna, Brüssel, Helsinki, Krakau, Prag, Reykjavík, Santiago de Compostela | 2001: Porto, Rotterdam | 2002: Brügge, Salamanca | 2003: Graz | 2004: Genua, Lille | 2005: Cork | 2006: Patras | 2007: Hermannstadt, Luxemburg zusammen mit der Großregion | 2008: Liverpool, Stavanger | 2009: Linz, Vilnius | 2010: Istanbul, Pécs, Essen zusammen mit dem Ruhrgebiet | 2011: Tallinn, Turku | 2012: Guimarães, Maribor | 2013: Košice, Marseille | 2014: Riga, Umeå | 2015: Mons, Pilsen | 2016: Breslau, Donostia-San Sebastián | 2017: Aarhus, Paphos

Publié dans Non classé

Area 51

The United States Air Force facility commonly known as Area 51 is a remote detachment of Edwards Air Force Base, within the Nevada Test and Training Range. According to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the correct names for the facility are Homey Airport (ICAO: KXTA) and Groom Lake, though the name Area 51 was used in a CIA document from the Vietnam War. Other names used for the facility include Dreamland, and nicknames Paradise Ranch, Home Base and Watertown. The special use airspace around the field is referred to as a Restricted Area 4808 North (R-4808N).
The base’s current primary purpose is publicly unknown; however, based on historical evidence, it most likely supports development and testing of experimental aircraft and weapons systems (black projects). The intense secrecy surrounding the base has made it the frequent subject of conspiracy theories and a central component to unidentified flying object (UFO) folklore. Although the base has never been declared a secret base, all research and occurrences in Area 51 are Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI). In July 2013, following an FOIA request filed in 2005, the CIA publicly acknowledged the existence of the base for the first time, declassifying documents detailing the history and purpose of Area 51.
Area 51 is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, 83 miles (134 km) north-northwest of Las Vegas. Situated at its center, on the southern shore of Groom Lake, is a large military airfield. The site was acquired by the United States Air Force in 1955, primarily for the flight testing of the Lockheed U-2 aircraft. The area around Area 51, including the small town of Rachel on the aptly named « Extraterrestrial Highway », is a popular tourist destination.

The original rectangular base of 6 by 10 miles (9.7 by 16.1 km) is now part of the so-called « Groom box », a rectangular area measuring 23 by 25 miles (37 by 40 km), of restricted airspace. The area is connected to the internal Nevada Test Site (NTS) road network, with paved roads leading south to Mercury and west to Yucca Flat. Leading northeast from the lake, the wide and well-maintained Groom Lake Road runs through a pass in the Jumbled Hills. The road formerly led to mines in the Groom basin, but has been improved since their closure. Its winding course runs past a security checkpoint, but the restricted area around the base extends further east. After leaving the restricted area, Groom Lake Road descends eastward to the floor of the Tikaboo Valley, passing the dirt-road entrances to several small ranches, before converging with State Route 375, the « Extraterrestrial Highway », south of Rachel.
Area 51 shares a border with the Yucca Flat region of the Nevada Test Site, the location of 739 of the 928 nuclear tests conducted by the United States Department of Energy at NTS. The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository is 44 miles (71 km) southwest of Groom Lake.
Groom Lake is a salt flat in Nevada used for runways of the Nellis Bombing Range Test Site airport (KXTA) on the north of the Area 51 USAF military installation. The lake at 4,409 ft (1,344 m) elevation is approximately 3.7 miles (6.0 km) from north to south and 3 miles (4.8 km) from east to west at its widest point. Located within the namesake Groom Lake Valley portion of the Tonopah Basin, the lake is 25 mi (40 km) south of Rachel, Nevada.
The origin of the Area 51 name is unclear. The most accepted comes from a grid numbering system of the area by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC); while Area 51 isn’t part of this system, it is adjacent to Area 15. Another explanation is that 51 was used because it was unlikely that the AEC would use the number.
Lead and silver were discovered in the southern part of the Groom Range in 1864, and the English Groome Lead Mines Limited company financed the Conception Mines in the 1870s, giving the district its name (nearby mines included Maria, Willow and White Lake). The interests in Groom were acquired by J. B. Osborne and partners and patented in 1876, and his son acquired the interests in the 1890s. Claims were incorporated as two 1916 companies with mining continuing until 1918 and resuming after World War II until the early 1950s.
The airfield on the Groom Lake site began service in 1942 as Indian Springs Air Force Auxiliary Field, and consisted of two dirt 5000 feet runways aligned NE/SW, NW/SE 37°16′35″N 115°45′20″W / 37.27639°N 115.75556°W / 37.27639; -115.75556. The airfield may have been used for bombing and artillery practice; bomb craters are still visible in the vicinity.
The Groom Lake test facility was established in April 1955 by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) for Project Aquatone, the development of the Lockheed U-2 strategic reconnaissance aircraft.
As part of the project, the director, Richard M. Bissell, Jr., understood that, given the extreme secrecy enveloping the project, the flight test and pilot training programs could not be conducted at Edwards Air Force Base or Lockheed’s Palmdale facility. A search for a suitable testing site for the U-2 was conducted under the same extreme security as the rest of the project.
He notified Lockheed, who sent an inspection team out to Groom Lake. According to Lockheed’s U-2 designer Kelly Johnson:
… We flew over it and within thirty seconds, you knew that was the place … it was right by a dry lake. Man alive, we looked at that lake, and we all looked at each other. It was another Edwards, so we wheeled around, landed on that lake, taxied up to one end of it. It was a perfect natural landing field … as smooth as a billiard table without anything being done to it ». Johnson used a compass to lay out the direction of the first runway. The place was called « Groom Lake ».
The lakebed made an ideal strip from which they could test aircraft, and the Emigrant Valley’s mountain ranges and the NTS perimeter, about 100 miles north of Las Vegas, protected the test site from visitors. The CIA asked the AEC to acquire the land, designated « Area 51 » on the map, and add it to the Nevada Test Site.:56–57
Johnson named the area « Paradise Ranch » to encourage workers to move to a place that the CIA’s official history of the U-2 project would later describe as « the new facility in the middle of nowhere »; the name became shortened to « the Ranch ».:57 On 4 May 1955, a survey team arrived at Groom Lake and laid out a 5,000-foot (1,500 m), north-south runway on the southwest corner of the lakebed and designated a site for a base support facility. « The Ranch », also known as Site II, initially consisted of little more than a few shelters, workshops and trailer homes in which to house its small team. In a little over three months, the base consisted of a single, paved runway, three hangars, a control tower, and rudimentary accommodations for test personnel. The base’s few amenities included a movie theatre and volleyball court. Additionally, there was a mess hall, several water wells, and fuel storage tanks. By July 1955, CIA, Air Force, and Lockheed personnel began arriving. The Ranch received its first U-2 delivery on 24 July 1955 from Burbank on a C-124 Globemaster II cargo plane, accompanied by Lockheed technicians on a Douglas DC-3. Regular Military Air Transport Service flights were set up between Area 51 and Lockheed’s Burbank, California offices. To preserve secrecy, personnel flew to Nevada on Monday mornings and returned to California on Friday evenings.:72
Project OXCART established in August 1959 for « antiradar studies, aerodynamic structural tests, and engineering designs [and] all later work on the » Lockheed A-12 included testing at Groom Lake, which before improvements for OXCART had inadequate facilities: buildings for only 150 people, a 5,000 ft (1,500 m) asphalt runway, and limited fuel, hangar, and shop space. Selected for its seclusion and climate, Groom Lake had received a new official name « Area 51″[verification needed] when A-12 test facility construction began in September 1960, including a new 8,500 ft (2,600 m) runway to replace the existing runway (completed by 15 November 1960 with « expansion joints parallel to the direction of aircraft roll » to limit vibration.)
Four years of « Project 51 » construction began on 1 October 1960 by Reynolds Electrical and Engineering Company (REECo) with double-shift construction schedules. The contractor upgraded base facilities and built a new 10,000 ft (3,000 m) runway (14/32) diagonally across the southwest corner of the lakebed. An Archimedes curve approximately two miles across was marked on the dry lake so that an A-12 pilot approaching the end of the overrun could abort to the playa instead of plunging the aircraft into the sagebrush. Area 51 pilots called it « The Hook ». For crosswind landings two unpaved airstrips (runways 9/27 and 03/21) were marked on the dry lakebed.
By August 1961, construction of the essential facilities was completed (3 surplus Navy hangars were erected on the base’s north side—hangars 4, 5, and 6.) A fourth, Hangar 7, was new construction. The original U-2 hangars were converted to maintenance and machine shops. Facilities in the main cantonment area included workshops and buildings for storage and administration, a commissary, control tower, fire station, and housing. The Navy also contributed more than 130 surplus Babbitt duplex housing units for long-term occupancy facilities. Older buildings were repaired, and additional facilities were constructed as necessary. A reservoir pond, surrounded by trees, served as a recreational area one mile north of the base. Other recreational facilities included a gymnasium, movie theatre, and a baseball diamond. A permanent aircraft fuel tank farm was constructed by early 1962 for the special JP-7 fuel required by the A-12. Seven tanks were constructed, with a total capacity of 1,320,000 gallons.
For the arrival of OXCART; security was enhanced and the small civilian mine[specify] in the Groom basin was closed. In January 1962, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) expanded the restricted airspace in the vicinity of Groom Lake. The lakebed became the center of a 600-square-mile addition to restricted area R-4808N.
The CIA facility received eight USAF F-101 Voodoos for training, two T-33 Shooting Star trainers for proficiency flying, a C-130 Hercules for cargo transport, a U-3A for administrative purposes, a helicopter for search and rescue, and a Cessna 180 for liaison use; and Lockheed provided an F-104 Starfighter for use as a chase plane.
The first A-12 test aircraft was covertly trucked from Burbank on 26 February 1962, arrived at Groom Lake on 28 February, was assembled, and made its first flight 26 April 1962 when the base had over 1,000 personnel. Initially, all not connected with a test were herded into the mess hall before each takeoff. This was soon dropped as it disrupted activities and was impractical with the large number of flights. The closed airspace above Groom Lake was within the Nellis Air Force Range airspace, and pilots saw the A-12 20-30 times (at least one signed a secrecy agreement.).
Groom was also the site of the 1st Lockheed D-21 drone test flight on 22 December 1964 (not launched until 5 March 1966). By the end of 1963, nine A-12s were at Area 51, assigned to the CIA operated « 1129th Special Activities Squadron ».
Although it was decided[by whom?] on 10 January 1967 to phase out the CIA A-12 program, A-12s at Groom Lake occasionally deployed to Kadena AB, Okinawa, for Project Black Shield in 1967 (the 9 A-12s were stored at Palmdale in June 1968 and the 1129th SAS was inactivated.)
Following the loss of Gary Powers’ U-2 over the Soviet Union, there were several discussions about using the A-12 OXCART as an unpiloted drone aircraft. Although Kelly Johnson had come to support the idea of drone reconnaissance, he opposed the development of an A-12 drone, contending that the aircraft was too large and complex for such a conversion. However, the Air Force agreed to fund the study of a high-speed, high-altitude drone aircraft in October 1962. The Air Force interest seems to have moved the CIA to take action, the project designated « Q-12 ». By October 1963, the drone’s design had been finalized. At the same time, the Q-12 underwent a name change. To separate it from the other A-12-based projects, it was renamed the « D-21 ». (The « 12 » was reversed to « 21 »). « Tagboard » was the project’s code name.
The first D-21 was completed in the spring of 1964 by Lockheed. After four more months of checkouts and static tests, the aircraft was shipped to Groom Lake and reassembled. It was to be carried by a two-seat derivative of the A-12, designated the « M-21″. When the D-21/M-21 reached the launch point, the first step would be to blow off the D-21’s inlet and exhaust covers. With the D-21/M-21 at the correct speed and altitude, the LCO would start the ramjet and the other systems of the D-21. With the D-21’s systems activated and running, and the launch aircraft at the correct point, the M-21 would begin a slight pushover, the LCO would push a final button, and the D-21 would come off the pylon ».
Difficulties were addressed throughout 1964 and 1965 at Groom Lake with various technical issues. Captive flights showed unforeseen aerodynamic difficulties. By late January 1966, more than a year after the first captive flight, everything seemed ready. The first D-21 launch was made on 5 March 1966 with a successful flight, with the D-21 flying 120 miles with limited fuel. A second D-12 flight was successful in April 1966 with the drone flying 1,200 miles, reaching Mach 3.3 and 90,000 feet. An accident on 30 July 1966 with a fully fueled D-21, on a planned checkout flight suffered from a non-start of the drone after its separation, causing it to collide with the M-21 launch aircraft. The two crewmen ejected and landed in the ocean 150 miles offshore. One crew member was picked up by a helicopter, but the other, having survived the aircraft breakup and ejection, drowned when sea water entered his pressure suit. Kelly Johnson personally cancelled the entire program, having had serious doubts from the start of the feasibility. A number of D-21s had already been produced, and rather than scrapping the whole effort, Johnson again proposed to the Air Force that they be launched from a B-52H bomber.
By late summer of 1967, the modification work to both the D-21 (now designated D-21B) and the B-52Hs were complete. The test program could now resume. The test missions were flown out of Groom Lake, with the actual launches over the Pacific. The first D-21B to be flown was Article 501, the prototype. The first attempt was made on 28 September 1967, and ended in complete failure. As the B-52 was flying toward the launch point, the D-21B fell off the pylon. The B-52H gave a sharp lurch as the drone fell free. The booster fired and was « quite a sight from the ground ». The failure was traced to a stripped nut on the forward right attachment point on the pylon. Several more tests were made, none of which met with success. However, the fact is that the resumptions of D-21 tests took place against a changing reconnaissance background. The A-12 had finally been allowed to deploy, and the SR-71 was soon to replace it. At the same time, new developments in reconnaissance satellite technology were nearing operation. Up to this point, the limited number of satellites available restricted coverage to the Soviet Union. A new generation of reconnaissance satellites could soon cover targets anywhere in the world. The satellites’ resolution would be comparable to that of aircraft, but without the slightest political risk. Time was running out for the Tagboard.
Several more test flights, including two over China, were made from Beale AFB, California, in 1969 and 1970, to varying degrees of success. On 15 July 1971, Kelly Johnson received a wire canceling the D-21B program. The remaining drones were transferred by a C-5A and placed in dead storage. The tooling used to build the D-21Bs was ordered destroyed. Like the A-12 Oxcart, the D-21B Tagboard drones remained a Black airplane, even in retirement. Their existence was not suspected until August 1976, when the first group was placed in storage at the Davis-Monthan AFB Military Storage and Disposition Center. A second group arrived in 1977. They were labeled « GTD-21Bs » (GT stood for ground training).
Davis-Monthan is an open base, with public tours of the storage area at the time, so the odd-looking drones were soon spotted and photos began appearing in magazines. Speculation about the D-21Bs circulated within aviation circles for years, and it was not until 1982 that details of the Tagboard program were released. However, it was not until 1993 that the B-52/D-21B program was made public. That same year, the surviving D-21Bs were released to museums.
During the Cold War, one of the missions carried out by the United States was the test and evaluation of captured Soviet fighter aircraft. Beginning in the late 1960s, and for several decades, Area 51 played host to an assortment of Soviet-built aircraft. Under the HAVE DOUGHNUT, HAVE DRILL and HAVE FERRY programs, the first MiGs flown in the United States were used to evaluate the aircraft in performance, technical, and operational capabilities, pitting the types against U.S. fighters.
This was not a new mission, as testing of foreign technology by the USAF began during World War II. After the war, testing of acquired foreign technology was performed by the Air Technical Intelligence Center (ATIC, which became very influential during the Korean War), under the direct command of the Air Materiel Control Department. In 1961 ATIC became the Foreign Technology Division (FTD), and was reassigned to Air Force Systems Command. ATIC personnel were sent anywhere where foreign aircraft could be found.
The focus of Air Force Systems Command limited the use of the fighter as a tool with which to train the front line tactical fighter pilots. Air Force Systems Command recruited its pilots from the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base, California, who were usually graduates from various test pilot schools. Tactical Air Command selected its pilots primarily from the ranks of the Weapons School graduates.
In August 1966, Iraqi Air Force fighter pilot Captain Munir Redfa defected, flying his MiG-21 to Israel after being ordered to attack Iraqi Kurd villages with napalm. His aircraft was transferred to the Groom Lake within a month to study. In 1968 the US Air Force and Navy jointly formed a project known as Have Doughnut in which Air Force Systems Command, Tactical Air Command, and the U.S. Navy’s Air Test and Evaluation Squadron Four (VX-4) flew this acquired Soviet made aircraft in simulated air combat training. Because U.S. possession of the Soviet MiG-21 was, itself, secret, it was tested at Groom Lake. A joint air force-navy team was assembled for a series of dogfight tests.
Comparisons between the F-4 and the MiG-21 indicated that, on the surface, they were evenly matched. But air combat was not just about technology. In the final analysis, it was the skill of the man in the cockpit. The Have Doughnut tests showed this most strongly. When the Navy or Air Force pilots flew the MiG-21, the results were a draw; the F-4 would win some fights, the MiG-21 would win others. There were no clear advantages. The problem was not with the planes, but with the pilots flying them. The pilots would not fly either plane to its limits. One of the Navy pilots was Marland W. « Doc » Townsend, then commander of VF-121, the F-4 training squadron at NAS Miramar. He was an engineer and a Korean War veteran and had flown almost every navy aircraft. When he flew against the MiG-21, he would outmaneuver it every time. The Air Force pilots would not go vertical in the MiG-21. The Have Doughnut project officer was Tom Cassidy, a pilot with VX-4, the Navy’s Air Development Squadron at Point Mugu. He had been watching as Townsend « waxed » the air force MiG-21 pilots. Cassidy climbed into the MiG-21 and went up against Townsend’s F-4. This time the result was far different. Cassidy was willing to fight in the vertical, flying the plane to the point where it was buffeting, just above the stall. Cassidy was able to get on the F-4’s tail. After the flight, they realized the MiG-21 turned better than the F-4 at lower speeds. The key was for the F-4 to keep its speed up. What had happened in the sky above Groom Lake was remarkable. An F-4 had defeated the MiG-21; the weakness of the Soviet plane had been found. Further test flights confirmed what was learned. It was also clear that the MiG-21 was a formidable enemy. United States pilots would have to fly much better than they had been to beat it. This would require a special school to teach advanced air combat techniques.
On 12 August 1968, two Syrian air force lieutenants, Walid Adham and Radfan Rifai, took off in a pair of MiG-17Fs on a training mission. They lost their way and, believing they were over Lebanon, landed at the Beset Landing Field in northern Israel. (One version has it that they were led astray by an Arabic-speaking Israeli). Prior to the end of 1968 these MiG-17s were transferred from Israeli stocks and added to the Area 51 test fleet. The aircraft were given USAF designations and fake serial numbers so that they could be identified in DOD standard flight logs. As in the earlier program, a small group of Air Force and Navy pilots conducted mock dogfights with the MiG-17s. Selected instructors from the Navy’s Top Gun school at NAS Miramar, California, were chosen to fly against the MiGs for familiarization purposes. Very soon, the MiG-17’s shortcomings became clear. It had an extremely simple, even crude, control system which lacked the power-boosted controls of American aircraft. The F-4’s twin engines were so powerful it could accelerate out of range of the MiG-17’s guns in thirty seconds. It was important for the F-4 to keep its distance from the MiG-17. As long as the F-4 was one and a half miles from the MiG-17, it was outside the reach of the Soviet fighter’s guns, but the MiG was within reach of the F-4’s missiles.
The data from the Have Doughnut and Have Drill tests were provided to the newly formed Top Gun school at NAS Miramar. By 1970, the Have Drill program was expanded; a few selected fleet F-4 crews were given the chance to fight the MiGs. The most important result of Project Have Drill is that no Navy pilot who flew in the project defeated the MiG-17 Fresco in the first engagement. The Have Drill dogfights were by invitation only. The other pilots based at Nellis Air Force Base were not to know about the U.S.-operated MiGs. To prevent any sightings, the airspace above the Groom Lake range was closed. On aeronautical maps, the exercise area was marked in red ink. The forbidden zone became known as « Red Square ».
During the remainder of the Vietnam War, the Navy kill ratio climbed to 8.33 to 1. In contrast, the Air Force rate improved only slightly to 2.83 to 1. The reason for this difference was Top Gun. The Navy had revitalized its air combat training, while the Air Force had stayed stagnant. Most of the Navy MiG kills were by Top Gun graduates.[citation needed]
In May 1973, Project Have Idea was formed which took over from the older Have Doughnut, Have Ferry and Have Drill projects and the project was transferred to the Tonopah Test Range Airport. At Tonopah testing of foreign technology aircraft continued and expanded throughout the 1970s and 1980s.
Area 51 also hosted another foreign materiel evaluation program called HAVE GLIB. This involved testing Soviet tracking and missile control radar systems. A complex of actual and replica Soviet-type threat systems began to grow around « Slater Lake », a mile northwest of the main base, along with an acquired Soviet « Barlock » search radar placed at Tonopah Air Force Station. They were arranged to simulate a Soviet-style air defense complex.
The Air Force began funding improvements to Area 51 in 1977 under project SCORE EVENT. In 1979, the CIA transferred jurisdiction of the Area 51 site to the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards AFB, California. Mr. Sam Mitchell, the last CIA commander of Area 51, relinquished command to USAF Lt. Col. Larry D. McClain.
The Lockheed Have Blue prototype stealth fighter (a smaller proof-of-concept model of the F-117 Nighthawk) first flew at Groom in December 1977.
In 1978, the Air Force awarded a full-scale development contract for the F-117 to Lockheed Corporation’s Advanced Development Projects. On 17 January 1981 the Lockheed test team at Area 51 accepted delivery of the first full Scale Development (FSD) prototype 79–780, designated YF-117A. At 6:05 am on 18 June 1981 Lockheed Skunk Works test pilot Hal Farley lifted the nose of YF-117A 79–780′ off the runway of Area 51.
Meanwhile, Tactical Air Command (TAC) decided to set up a group-level organization to guide the F-117A to an initial operating capability. That organization became the 4450th Tactical Group (Initially designated « A Unit »), which officially activated on 15 October 1979 at Nellis AFB, Nevada, although the group was physically located at Area 51. The 4450th TG also operated the A-7D Corsair II as a surrogate trainer for the F-117A, and these operations continued until 15 October 1982 under the guise of an avionics test mission.
Flying squadrons of the 4450th TG were the 4450th Tactical Squadron (Initially designated « I Unit ») activated on 11 June 1981, and 4451st Tactical Squadron (Initially designated « P Unit ») on 15 January 1983. The 4450th TS, stationed at Area 51, was the first F-117A squadron, while the 4451st TS was stationed at Nellis AFB and was equipped with A-7D Corsair IIs painted in a dark motif, tail coded « LV ». Lockheed test pilots put the YF-117 through its early paces. A-7Ds was used for pilot training before any F-117A’s had been delivered by Lockheed to Area 51, later the A-7D’s were used for F-117A chase testing and other weapon tests at the Nellis Range.
15 October 1982 is important to the program because on that date Major Alton C. Whitley, Jr. became the first USAF 4450th TG pilot to fly the F-117A.
Although ideal for testing, Area 51 was not a suitable location for an operational group, so a new covert base had to be established for F-117 operations. Tonopah Test Range Airport was selected for operations of the first USAF F-117 unit, the 4450th Tactical Group (TG). From October 1979, the Tonopah Airport base was reconstructed and expanded. The 6,000 ft runway was lengthened to 10,000 ft. Taxiways, a concrete apron, a large maintenance hangar, and a propane storage tank were added.
By early 1982, four more YF-117A airplanes were operating out of the southern end of the base, known as the « Southend » or « Baja Groom Lake ». After finding a large scorpion in their offices, the testing team (Designated « R Unit ») adopted it as their mascot and dubbed themselves the « Baja Scorpions ». Testing of a series of ultra-secret prototypes continued at Area 51 until mid-1981, when testing transitioned to the initial production of F-117 stealth fighters. The F-117s were moved to and from Area 51 by C-5 under the cloak of darkness, in order to maintain program security. This meant that the aircraft had to be defueled, disassembled, cradled, and then loaded aboard the C-5 at night, flown to Lockheed, and unloaded at night before the real work could begin. Of course, this meant that the reverse actions had to occur at the end of the depot work before the aircraft could be reassembled, flight-tested, and redelivered, again under the cover of darkness. In addition to flight-testing, Groom performed radar profiling, F-117 weapons testing, and was the location for training of the first group of frontline USAF F-117 pilots.
Production FSD airframes from Lockheed were shipped to Area 51 for acceptance testing. As the Baja Scorpions tested the aircraft with functional check flights and L.O. verification, the operational airplanes were then transferred to the 4450th TG.
On 17 May 1982, the move of the 4450th TG from Groom Lake to Tonopah was initiated, with the final components of the move completed in early 1983. Production FSD airframes from Lockheed were shipped to Area 51 for acceptance testing. As the Baja Scorpions tested the aircraft with functional check flights and L.O. verification, the operational airplanes were then transferred to the 4450th TG at Tonopah.
The R-Unit was inactivated on 30 May 1989. Upon inactivation, the unit was reformed as Detachment 1, 57th Fighter Weapons Wing (FWW). In 1990 the last F-117A (843) was delivered from Lockheed. After completion of acceptance flights at Area 51 of this last new F-117A aircraft, the flight test squadron continued flight test duties of refurbished aircraft after modifications by Lockheed. In February/March 1992 the test unit moved from Area 51 to the USAF Palmdale Plant 42 and was integrated with the Air Force Systems Command 6510th Test Squadron. Some testing, especially RCS verification and other classified activity was still conducted at Area 51 throughout the operational lifetime of the F-117. The recently inactivated (2008) 410th Flight Test Squadron traces its roots, if not its formal lineage to the 4450th TG R-unit.
Since the F-117 became operational in 1983, operations at Groom Lake have continued. The base and its associated runway system were expanded, including expansion of housing and support facilities. In 1995, the federal government expanded the exclusionary area around the base to include nearby mountains that had hitherto afforded the only decent overlook of the base, prohibiting access to 3,972 acres (16.07 km2) of land formerly administered by the Bureau of Land Management. On October 22, 2015 a federal judge signed an order giving land that belonged to a Nevada family since the 1870s to the United States Air Force for expanding Area 51. According to the judge, the land that overlooked the base was taken to address security and safety concerns connected with their training and testing.
The amount of information the United States government has been willing to provide regarding Area 51 has generally been minimal. The area surrounding the lake is permanently off-limits both to civilian and normal military air traffic. Security clearances are checked regularly; cameras and weaponry are not allowed. Even military pilots training in the NAFR risk disciplinary action if they stray into the exclusionary « box » surrounding Groom’s airspace. Surveillance is supplemented using buried motion sensors. Area 51 is a common destination for Janet, the de facto name of a small fleet of passenger aircraft operated on behalf of the United States Air Force to transport military personnel, primarily from McCarran International Airport.
The USGS topographic map for the area only shows the long-disused Groom Mine. A civil aviation chart published by the Nevada Department of Transportation shows a large restricted area, defined as part of the Nellis restricted airspace. The National Atlas page showing federal lands in Nevada shows the area as lying within the Nellis Air Force Base. Higher resolution (and more recent) images from other satellite imagery providers (including Russian providers and the IKONOS) are commercially available. These show the runway markings, base facilities, aircraft, and vehicles.
When documents that mention the Nevada Test Site (NTS) and operations at Groom are declassified, mentions of Area 51 and Groom Lake are routinely redacted.[citation needed] One exception is a 1967 memo from CIA director Richard Helms regarding the deployment of three OXCART aircraft from Groom to Kadena Air Base to perform reconnaissance over North Vietnam. Although most mentions of OXCART’s home base are redacted in this document, as is a map showing the aircraft’s route from there to Okinawa, the redactor appears to have missed one mention: page 15 (page 17 in the PDF), section No. 2 ends « Three OXCART aircraft and the necessary task force personnel will be deployed from Area 51 to Kadena. »
In July 2013, CIA released an official history of the U-2 and OXCART projects that officially acknowledged the existence of Area 51. The release was in response to a Freedom of Information Act request submitted in 2005 by Jeffrey T. Richelson of George Washington University’s National Security Archives, and contain numerous references to Area 51 and Groom Lake, along with a map of the area.
In 1994, five unnamed civilian contractors and the widows of contractors Walter Kasza and Robert Frost sued the USAF and the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Their suit, in which they were represented by George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley, alleged they had been present when large quantities of unknown chemicals had been burned in open pits and trenches at Groom. Biopsies taken from the complainants were analyzed by Rutgers University biochemists, who found high levels of dioxin, dibenzofuran, and trichloroethylene in their body fat. The complainants alleged they had sustained skin, liver, and respiratory injuries due to their work at Groom, and that this had contributed to the deaths of Frost and Kasza. The suit sought compensation for the injuries they had sustained, claiming the USAF had illegally handled toxic materials, and that the EPA had failed in its duty to enforce the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (which governs handling of dangerous materials.) They also sought detailed information about the chemicals to which they were allegedly exposed, hoping this would facilitate the medical treatment of survivors. Congressman Lee H. Hamilton, former chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, told 60 Minutes reporter Lesley Stahl, « The Air Force is classifying all information about Area 51 in order to protect themselves from a lawsuit. »
Citing the State Secrets Privilege, the government petitioned trial judge U.S. District Judge Philip Pro (of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada in Las Vegas) to disallow disclosure of classified documents or examination of secret witnesses, alleging this would expose classified information and threaten national security. When Judge Pro rejected the government’s argument, President Bill Clinton issued a Presidential Determination, exempting what it called, « The Air Force’s Operating Location Near Groom Lake, Nevada » from environmental disclosure laws. Consequently, Pro dismissed the suit due to lack of evidence. Turley appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, on the grounds that the government was abusing its power to classify material. Secretary of the Air Force Sheila E. Widnall filed a brief that stated that disclosures of the materials present in the air and water near Groom « can reveal military operational capabilities or the nature and scope of classified operations. » The Ninth Circuit rejected Turley’s appeal, and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear it, putting an end to the complainants’ case.
The President continues to annually issue a determination continuing the Groom exception. This, and similarly tacit wording used in other government communications, is the only formal recognition the U.S. Government has ever given that Groom Lake is more than simply another part of the Nellis complex.
An unclassified memo on the safe handling of F-117 Nighthawk material was posted on an Air Force web site in 2005. This discussed the same materials for which the complainants had requested information (information the government had claimed was classified). The memo was removed shortly after journalists became aware of it.
In December 2007, airline pilots noticed that the base had appeared in their aircraft navigation systems’ latest Jeppesen database revision with the ICAO airport identifier code of KXTA and listed as « Homey Airport ». The probably inadvertent release of the airport data led to advice by the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) that student pilots should be explicitly warned about KXTA, not to consider it as a waypoint or destination for any flight even though it now appears in public navigation databases.
In January 2006, space historian Dwayne A. Day published an article in online aerospace magazine The Space Review titled « Astronauts and Area 51: the Skylab Incident ». The article was based on a memo written in 1974 to CIA director William Colby by an unknown CIA official. The memo reported that astronauts on board Skylab 4 had, as part of a larger program, inadvertently photographed a location of which the memo said:
There were specific instructions not to do this. was the only location which had such an instruction.
Although the name of the location was obscured, the context led Day to believe that the subject was Groom Lake. As Day noted:
[I]n other words, the CIA considered no other spot on Earth to be as sensitive as Groom Lake.
The memo details debate between federal agencies regarding whether the images should be classified, with Department of Defense agencies arguing that it should, and NASA and the State Department arguing against classification. The memo itself questions the legality of unclassified images to be retroactively classified.
Remarks on the memo, handwritten apparently by DCI (Director of Central Intelligence) Colby himself, read:
[Secretary of State Rusk] did raise it—said State Dept. people felt strongly. But he inclined leave decision to me (DCI)—I confessed some question over need to protect since:
The declassified documents do not disclose the outcome of discussions regarding the Skylab imagery. The behind-the-scenes debate proved moot as the photograph appeared in the Federal Government’s Archive of Satellite Imagery along with the remaining Skylab 4 photographs, with no record of anyone noticing until Day identified it in 2007.
Other satellite imagery is also available, including images that show what appears to be F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft stationed on the base.
Its secretive nature and undoubted connection to classified aircraft research, together with reports of unusual phenomena, have led Area 51 to become a focus of modern UFO and conspiracy theories. Some of the activities mentioned in such theories at Area 51 include:
Many of the hypotheses concern underground facilities at Groom or at Papoose Lake (also known as « S-4 location »), 8.5 miles (13.7 km) south, and include claims of a transcontinental underground railroad system, a disappearing airstrip (nicknamed the « Cheshire Airstrip », after Lewis Carroll’s Cheshire cat) which briefly appears when water is sprayed onto its camouflaged asphalt, and engineering based on alien technology. Publicly available satellite imagery, however, reveals clearly visible landing strips at Groom Dry Lake, but not at Papoose Lake.
In the mid-1950s, civilian aircraft flew under 20,000 feet while military aircraft flew under 40,000 feet. Once the U-2 began flying at above 60,000 feet, an unexpected side effect was an increasing number of UFO sighting reports. Sightings occurred most often during early evenings hours, when airline pilots flying west saw the U-2’s silver wings reflect the setting sun, giving the aircraft a « fiery » appearance. Many sighting reports came to the Air Force’s Project Blue Book, which investigated UFO sightings, through air-traffic controllers and letters to the government. The project checked U-2 and later OXCART flight records to eliminate the majority of UFO reports it received during the late 1950s and 1960s, although it could not reveal to the letter writers the truth behind what they saw.:72–73 Similarly, veterans of experimental projects such as OXCART and NERVA at Area 51 agree that their work (including 2,850 OXCART test flights alone) inadvertently prompted many of the UFO sightings and other rumors:
They believe that the rumors helped maintain secrecy over Area 51’s actual operations. While the veterans deny the existence of a vast underground railroad system, many of Area 51’s operations did (and presumably still do) occur underground.
Novels, films, television programs, and other fictional portrayals of Area 51 describe it—or a fictional counterpart—as a haven for extraterrestrials, time travel, and sinister conspiracies, often linking it with the Roswell UFO incident.

Publié dans Non classé